Site Investigation Report

Names & Aliases
Loretto Chapel (Primary)
The Chapel of Our Lady of Light (Historic)
Addresses
207 Old Santa Fe Trail Santa Fe, NM 87501 Primary
Classification
Type: religious facility   Use: Historic   Period: Second Industrial Revolution (1871 - 1914)   Style: Gothic Revival (1820 - 1860)   Dates (from/to): 1878 - 1971   Related Features: Steps, Wood
Type: RECREATION AND CULTURE   Use: Current   Period: Postwar America (1945 - present)   Style: none defined   Dates (from/to): 1971 - open   Related Features: none defined
Property Ownership
Private
Filed Under
mystics
spirits (supernatural beings)
saints
sacred
visionaries
religion
artisans

Investigator's Field Report

Comments
The chapel of the Sisters of Loretto, originally known as "The Chapel of Our Lady of Light," was constructed in 1873-77 to serve the spiritual needs of the nuns of the Order of Loretto and the students of their academy for girls.  Its most famous feature is a wooden spiral staircase, the construction of which was long ascribed to a miraculous visitation of St. Joseph, foster father of Jesus and patron of craftsmen. The chapel, along with the extensive property of the Sisters of Loretto was sold in 1971 for commercial development. The chapel is now maintained as a privately-owned historic site.

Case File Contents

Images, Books, Documents & Other Media

Cross-References to Related Investigations

Related Sites
None
Related Historical Events
None
Related Persons of Interest
None