Erected in 1890-91, to the designs of the prominent architect James Brown Lord, this striking Renaissance Revival restaurant and office building is the only surviving building associated with the world-famous Delmonico's Restaurant. Founded in 1827 by Swiss-born brothers, John and Peter Delmonico, Delmonico's was one of the first restaurants in the United States to specialize in fine Continental cuisine. When their restaurant burned in the Fire of 1835, the Delmonico brothers acquired this site, where they erected an elegant four-story building that quickly became a favorite gathering place for New York society and visiting dignitaries. In 1890 the Delmonicos replaced that building with the current eight-story building, which provided additional restaurant space as well as several office stories.
-- From the NYC Landmarks Commission Report prepared by Gail Harris